The state-of-the-art Commander radar is a mobile and flexible radar in-service with the UK RAF to enhance UK airspace surveillance and policing.Proven in real operational conditions and extreme environments, the robust, and agile Commander radar family has been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan and gives radar coverage for the UK RAF's quick response air defence fighters.
With high availability and superior, consistent and reliable performanceit supports local and integrated Command & Control of air defence forces while operating from prepared or unprepared locations, in static or mobile configurations.
Commander is compatible with Mission Systems’ TeleVIEW which allows radars to be controlled, monitored and diagnosed remotely enabling preventative maintenance and reduced through-life costs. TeleVIEW uses high-bandwidth connections to distribute diagnostic data, which is presented via a standard web browser.
Long range detection
- Outstanding detection performance on small targets at low level
- Consistent detection performance to counter future air threats, including unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), cruise missiles and long-range stand-off weapons.
Operationally versatile and agile
- Small operational footprint
- Flexible, easily expandable configuration through a modular approach to capability
- Hardware options ranging from a basic, unattended Reporting Post to a manned Control & Reporting Post or Air Control Centre
- Static system performance with the advantage of full tactical mobility
- Extensive in-service operational usage with the Royal Air Force and a wide range of overseas users in extreme environments
- Deployable by land, sea and air.
- E/F Band
- Agile across 400 mHz bandwidth
- Phased monopulse height measurement
- Identification friend or foe/secondary surveillance radar (IFF/SSR) modes 1, 2, 3/A, C and 4
- Mode S ready
- Comprehensive built in test equipment (BITE).
- Large bandwidth
- Extremely low side lobes
- Use of 2-way pencil beam
- Pulse to pulse, beam to beam and burst to burst frequency agility
- Azimuth diversity
- Waveforms and pulse lengths vary with elevation
- Pulse repetition frequency (PFR) stagger and random jitter
- Constant false alarm rate (CFAR) processing
- Burn-through mode of operation.
Solid state transmit receive integrated modules
The high-efficiency, air-cooled solid-state transmit receive integrated modules (TRIMS), mounted on the rear of the antenna, provide an extremely reliable RF power source with built-in redundancy.
- No antenna cooling required.
High reliability, availability & maintainability
- Mean time between critical failures (MTBCF) of over 1500 hours
- More than 99% operational availability
- Less than 30 minutes mean time to repair
- Low scheduled maintenance requirement
- BITE removes the need for special test equipment to be carried with the system
- Reduced requirement for technical training skill.
Commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) signal processing
- Real time independent processing of each receive beam achieves optimum performance
- Industry standard hardware for data processing, communications and radar data displays
- Upgrade path without signifi cant software change
- Low spares inventory
- High reliability.
Instrumented range: 470 km
Ceiling: 100,000 ft
Elevation coverage: 20°
Electronic beam tilt: -2° to +5.8°
Accuracy at 200km
- Range: 50 m
- Azimuth: 0.2°
- Height: 2,000 ft